Friday, December 21, 2007

An Illini Double Standard when it comes to Oral Committments

As you must know, all Illinois fans are pouting about Eric Gordon coming off his oral commitment to Illinois to go to Indiana, a move that was made after Indiana got rid of Mike Davis to go to his home state team. Apparently when Illini Nation points a finger, it forgets that it points four back at themselves.

From the Chicago Sun Times:

Homewood-Flossmoor's Russell Ellington, who had given oral commitments to Iowa State and later to Iowa, now has given an oral commitment to Illinois coach Ron Zook.

The 6-3, 205-pounder, who is projected to play linebacker, has played wide receiver as well as on defense. He was moved to quarterback, where he sparked the Vikings' surprising run to the Class 8A semifinals.

"Things with Iowa just haven't felt good for the last few weeks in particular," Ellington told Tim O'Halloran of EdgyTim.com. "My family in particular just didn't feel comfortable with some of the things they were hearing about me from Iowa. I really don't want to get into the details, but I told the Iowa coaches a few weeks ago that I was going to reopen my recruiting. I decided this past weekend that I was ready to give Illinois and coach Ron Zook my verbal commitment."

Ellington will join friend and H-F football and basketball teammate Supo Sanni.

"They recruited us as individuals and sold us both on the positives of Illinois," Ellington said. "Sure, Supo and I are already talking about being roommates at Illinois and all of that, but that was never the big plan or anything like that. It just worked out that way, and I'm pretty happy.

No comments: