Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Too Bad He's Dead - Bruno Kirby


Bruno Kirby was always one of my favorites…he always had small roles, but was great in them.

He died of cancer.

In This Is Spinal Tap, Kirby has a quick cameo as the limo driver for the band, but his rant about the perceived lack of respect for Frank Sinatra’s genius is one of the classic scenes. After Nigel raises the divider, he calls the band, "Fuckin' limeys" and concludes, "But it's...it's a passing thing...it's uh.... I mean I would never tell them this but this is uh...this is a fad."

Or, in When Harry Met Sally, doing the wave at Giants Stadium with Harry.

So I asked the movers, "When did this woman book you for this gig?" And they're just standing there. Three huge guys, one of them was wearing a T-shirt that says, "Don't fuck with Mr. Zero." So I said, "Helen, when did you make this arrangement?" She says, "A week ago." I said, "You've known for a week and you didn't tell me?" And she says, "I didn't want to ruin your birthday."

You're say Mr. Zero knew you were getting a divorce a week before you did?

Mr. Zero knew.

I own a t-shirt that says "Don't Fuck with Mr. Zero."

Bruno was also great in The Freshman, The Godfather, Part II, and Good Morning Vietnam. He was also Bill Murray's (as Hunter Thompson) boss in Where the Buffalo Roam.

Cancer Sucks.

1 comment:

Ross McLochness said...

Have you seen the deleted scene of Tommy the limo driver taken into the comforting embrace of Spinal Tap only to end his evening in a pot-addled, knicker-wearing Sinatra homage? It's priceless.